Mumbai Sessions Court Dismisses Kangana Ranaut’s Revision Petition Against Summons In Javed Akhtar’s Defamation Case

first_imgNews UpdatesMumbai Sessions Court Dismisses Kangana Ranaut’s Revision Petition Against Summons In Javed Akhtar’s Defamation Case Sharmeen Hakim5 April 2021 3:41 AMShare This – xA Sessions Court at Dindoshi, Mumbai rejected the revision application by actor Kangana Ranaut seeking to “suspend” the proceedings against her in the criminal defamation case filed by veteran lyricist Javed Akhtar. Akhtar has accused Kangana of damaging his “immaculate reputation by falsely attributing statements to him,” in her interview with Republic TV anchor Arnab Goswami, on…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginA Sessions Court at Dindoshi, Mumbai rejected the revision application by actor Kangana Ranaut seeking to “suspend” the proceedings against her in the criminal defamation case filed by veteran lyricist Javed Akhtar. Akhtar has accused Kangana of damaging his “immaculate reputation by falsely attributing statements to him,” in her interview with Republic TV anchor Arnab Goswami, on July 19, 2020, soon after actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death. He filed a complaint for offences punishable under sections 499 and 500 (defamation) of the Indian Penal Code in the Metropolitan Magistrate Court, in Andheri, in November. Before the sessions court, Kangana had challenged the Andheri Metropolitan Magistrate Court’s order issuing process against her under section 204 of the CrPC, on February 1. The February order was passed after Akhtar was examined on oath and an inquiry was made by the local police. Kangana had said the procedure under section 200 of the CrPC, which requires the complainant as well as witnesses to be examined on oath, before the issuance of process, was not followed. Akhtar opposed Kangana’s plea through Advocate Jay Bharadwaj. He argued that the magistrate’s order did not warrant interference as witnesses were to be examined only if they were present. He further argued that by issuing summons, Kangana was given a fair chance to respond to the complaint. Akhtar’s counsels had earlier pointed out Kangana’s response to a Live Law post, to show she received summons but still chose not to appear in court. The Metropolitan Magistrate Court had then issued a bailable warrant against her. The warrant was cancelled after Kangana approached the Court and undertook to furnished a cash bail of Rs. 20,000 and surety worth Rs. 15,000. In his complaint, Akhtar says he is a self-made man, who reached Mumbai on October 4, 1964, with Rs 27, two pairs of clothes and a few books. He was 19 then. “The complainant is one of the most senior artists in the film industry with his successful career spanning over more than 55 years, which in itself is a rare achievement. Apart from this, he was also nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha during the period March 2010 to March 2016,” the plea stated about Akhtar’s reputation. Akhtar claims that in an interview that lasts 57-minutes, Kangana is seen giving her opinion on the circumstances surrounding Rajput’s death without any direct personal knowledge. His plea further stated that the defamatory statements were made against him during this interview.Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more

See More

Hotel Marjan is finally ready for sale or official takeover of Adris

first_imgAfter 11 long years, the light is finally visible at the end of the tunnel around the future of the Marjan Hotel in Split. Namely, the bankruptcy proceedings at the Commercial Court in Split against the bankruptcy debtor “Adriatic” dd in bankruptcy were completed by issuing a conclusion on the sale, reports Free Dalmatia. By 2021, an additional two billion kuna will be invested in the tourist part of the Group, which will bring 95 percent of hotel capacities to the highest level of supply, announced Adris at the end of last year. After the opening of the luxury hotel Park in Rovinj, investments will follow in Split, of course if everything goes according to plan around the hotel Marjan, and in Zagreb and Dubrovnik in hotels HUP Zagreb, which Adris bought from Andjelko Leka last year. Thus, Fina will sell an electronic public auction of a hotel of 5679 square meters, a substation, a parking lot, three yards and stairs, all together almost 12 square meters. According to the accepted estimate, the price was set at HRK 432 million including VAT. ADRIS WILL INVEST TWO BILLION HRK IN THE TOURIST PART OF THE GROUP BY 2021 Željko Kerum bought the Marjan Hotel in 2005 through a tender. He paid 170 million kuna, three times more than the requested 57 million kuna. Less than four years later, a contract was signed with the Hilton, and Kerum became mayor a few months later. The works on “Marjan” were soon interrupted, and in 2015 everything ended with the bankruptcy of the company “Adriatic.center_img RELATED NEWS: It would be a real “miracle” if Adris did not buy Hotel Marjan and thus not become a 100% owner of this extremely valuable property. Namely, in December 2017, Adria resort, a company within the Adris group, concluded an Agreement on the purchase and sale of all receivables with associated mortgages on real estate owned by the bankrupt company Adriatic dd from Split. If another investor interested in the Marjan hotel appears, then he should additionally buy receivables from Adris, which is very unlikely. THE MOST LUXURIOUS HOTEL ON THE ADRIATIC OPENED, GRAND PARK HOTEL last_img read more

See More