Crescent City >> And down the stretch they come, literally.With Mother Nature having wreaked havoc on the Humboldt-Del Norte League track and field season and with time closing in on the regular season before the North Coast Section qualifying meet, the weather finally held up for the final competition of the season Wednesday at Del Norte High School.It was a case of the usual suspects once again proving why they are among the elite, as Fortuna’s Katie Hurst dominated the jumping events, …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Despite the Chinese government’s control efforts, the spread of African swine fever (ASF) continues in China. The official reports from the World Health Organization (OIE) now say there have been more than 40 cases confirmed in 11 provinces, including one in the far south of the country. Despite this geographic advance, some pig movement has been allowed to help with China’s domestic demand for pork.And, according to a recent Global Disease Monitoring Report by the Swine Health Information Center, Brazil has reported a case of classical swine fever (CSF) in their country. The Brazilian case, which was reported earlier this month, was in the country’s far north, which is not in a major pig-producing area. This part of Brazil was already not considered to be free of CSF.U.S. pork is not affected by the ASF outbreaks in other countries and is safe to eat.ASF does not affect humans and therefore is not a public health threat.Pork products from animals with ASF are safe to consume.The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has measures in place to prevent sick animals from entering the food supply.ASF virus is a highly contagious viral disease impacting only pigs, not people — so it is not a public health threat or food-safety concern.ASF cannot be transmitted to humans through contact with pigs or pork.Members of the pig family, including domestic wild pigs, are the only animals susceptible to the ASF virus.ASF can be transmitted to pigs through feeding of uncooked garbage containing contaminated pork products. The Swine Health Protection Act regulates the feeding of food waste containing any meat products to swine, ensuring that all food waste fed to swine is properly treated to kill any disease organisms.ASF is easily transmitted to other pigs through direct contact with infected pigs or their waste, contaminated clothing, feed, equipment and vehicles, and in some cases, by blood-sucking insects, including some tick species.Currently, there is no vaccine that protects against ASF.
The New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) will host the Queensland Touch Association (QTA) at Tempe on Friday, 23 August and Saturday, 24 August 2008. The fiercest of rivals will compete in Men’s Open, Women’s Open, Mixed Open, Men’s 20’s, Women’s 20’s, Men’s 30’s, Women’s 30’s, Men’s 35’s, Women’s 35’s, Men’s 40’s, Women’s 40’s, Men’s 45’s, and Men’s 50’s divisions to determine the overall winner.The two states last competed in 2006 where NSWTA defeated QTA winning seven of the thirteen divisions. QTA will be looking to add to their three titles won since the inaugural State of Origin Series was conducted at the NSW State Cup in Port Macquarie in 1995.For more information about the 2008 State of Origin, please visit the website – http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=931&pID=14
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool youngster Cain overjoyed with first professional contractby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveJake Cain says it’s a dream come true signing his first professional contract with Liverpool.The 18-year-old midfielder, who has been with the club since the age of nine, penned terms earlier this week.”It’s a dream come true really,” Cain told Liverpoolfc.com.”It has been one of my aspirations all my life and it has finally happened. I’m buzzing with that and all my family are made up as well.”I was at the Academy and Alex [Inglethorpe] called me into his room and offered it to me. I was over the moon to get it signed.”
A 15-million gallon water treatment facility is to be constructed on the Rio Cobre at Content, near Dam Head, in St. Catherine, under a private/public partnership (PPP), involving the National Water Commission (NWC).This was announced by President of the NWC, Mark Barnett, at a Jamaica Information Service (JIS) ‘Think Tank’, on January 11.He pointed out that a private entity has been contracted to build the facility, with construction set to get underway later this year.“The Rio Cobre is a steady flow of water even in the worst of situations. We have about 50 million gallons of water daily, so it makes sense as I don’t have to increase capital cost from creating storage. We only have to create a treatment facility and that is what we are pursuing now,” the President said.Mr. Barnett pointed out that building the facility is one of the strategies being employed to improve the company’s operational efficiency, improve capital asset base and expand the service.He noted that the private enterprise has already secured financing under the PPP arrangement to meet the 2018 commencement date.“The treatment facility will impact Portmore, Kingston and Spanish Town,” the President said.He pointed out that the NWC will purchase water from the facility for distribution to its customers, with the non-revenue water (NRW) component being complementary. “This is expected to at least reduce our losses to about 30 per cent,” he noted. Story Highlights He pointed out that the NWC will purchase water from the facility for distribution to its customers, with the non-revenue water (NRW) component being complementary. “This is expected to at least reduce our losses to about 30 per cent,” he noted. “The Rio Cobre is a steady flow of water even in the worst of situations. We have about 50 million gallons of water daily, so it makes sense as I don’t have to increase capital cost from creating storage. We only have to create a treatment facility and that is what we are pursuing now,” the President said. A 15-million gallon water treatment facility is to be constructed on the Rio Cobre at Content, near Dam Head, in St. Catherine, under a private/public partnership (PPP), involving the National Water Commission (NWC).
Gurugram: Commuters beware if the lack of effective public transportation has caused to you take the cab when you are at risk. The official data by Gurugram police reveals that in the last two months only there have been 27 robberies that have taken place. In the latest case, a man from Delhi who had taken a lift was threatened by the drivers that his kidney will be taken out if he does not take out money from the ATM. Eventually, the robbers were able to steal Rs 50,000 from the debit cards of the ATM. Worryingly, not even women travellers are spared. A woman traveller on the pretext of being physically harmed was a robber of her earrings and other valuables in one of the crimes. Also Read – Bangla Sahib Gurudwara bans use of all types of plastic itemsEven as there is a strict law against the movement of the illegal vehicle in the city lack of effective public transportation system has resulted in most of the commuters being dependent on these modes of transportation. Further many of these modes of public transportation provide a much reasonable rate to commute as compared to other means of transportation. A large number of these vehicles can be seen moving in areas along National Highway-8, Manesar, Gurugram- Faridabad road, Golf course road and MG road and Sohna road. While the autos are still the most popular form of public transport for movement of commuters within the city, the cabs are preferred for commuting to Faridabad, Noida and Delhi. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderLast year more than twenty thousand autos went- off the city roads after a massive crackdown on the Gurugram Police on the autos operating without legal permits. Later after negotiations, the services resumed. The Gurugram Police also claims that strict action is also being taken on the illegal cabs. If caught these vehicles need to pay a fine Rs 2,000 as per law, however, there are reports of most of the drivers also getting away by paying a bribe of Rs 100-300 to the Police official. Most of the cabs provide transportation services in city MNC’s, BPO’s and even individual owners. The need to earn a quick buck from the commuters has resulted in most of the drivers allowing the vehicles to also provide cab services to commuters. On their part, most of the drivers claim that they are being harassed by the Police and public officials. Lack of providing correct information, usage of black tinted glasses and usage of wrong number plates are some of the major complaints that mainly registered against these vehicles.
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday said it will keep a “telescopic view” on Congress president Rahul Gandhi’s election affidavit, a day after the saffron party alleged a rise in his income between 2004 and 2014.There has been a “huge jump” in the income of the Congress leader, BJP national spokesperson Sambit Patra alleged at a press conference, but did not provide any evidence or document to substantiate his claim. Patra challenged Gandhi to file a defamation case against him, claiming that he is stating facts with evidence. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’There was no immediate response from the Congress on the charges levelled by the BJP. “The people this time in the country and the BJP in particular will keep a telescopic view on the nomination of Rahul Gandhi… Where ever he contests elections,” Patra told reporters. Gandhi’s income has risen from over Rs 55 lakh in 2004 to Rs 9 crore in 2014 as per his election affidavits, he alleged, asking “how can an MP, who is not a professional, witness such a jump in his income”. Patra went on to allege that the rise in Gandhi’s income “by and large, is profiteering from scams, dubious deals” and charged him with hiding facts from his election affidavits. The BJP leader said that the party will hold a series of such press conferences in the coming days to expose the “corruption of Rahul Gandhi”. He alleged Gandhi and his sister Priyanka Gandhi Vadra had a 4.69-acre farmhouse in Delhi that was rented out to a firm that had been issued show-cause notice for violations and alleged financial irregularities. On Saturday, Union minister Ravi Shanker Prasad had said, “In his (Rahul Gandhi) election affidavit in 2004, his income was Rs 55,38,123 while in 2009, it rose to Rs 2 crore and in 2014 it rose to Rs 9 crore.
There still exists a place where the tiger rules as the king of the jungle – the mighty Sundarbans. A marvellous natural wonder, this forest is also a tiger and ecological reserve. While a major portion of the Sundarbans is governed by Bangladesh, a smaller part of this mangrove and Gewa forest delta lays with India. This delta is formed by the confluence of Ganges, Bramhaputra and Meghna along with other minor rivers and distributaries. This mangrove forest today stands as one of the last strongholds of the endangered Royal Bengal Tiger. Also Read – Oman – Beauty with an addressTravelling to Sundarbans is an adventure. Especially because these beautiful big cats here have earned themselves a terrible reputation and some have even developed an affinity for human flesh. It would be perilous to not account for the crocodiles in the rivers in the list of animals fond of human flesh. If one is travelling from Kolkata, they can book themselves a taxi till Godkhali, from where launches are available to Gosaba and other popular tourist spots. Also Read – CANADA: A traveller’s delightGosaba, a small village situated in the south of South 24 Parganas, has two wooden stilt cottages belonging to Mr Hamilton and Rabindranath Tagore within walking distance of one another. The launches have partitioned beds beneath the deck for travellers to rest, since the next destination Pakhiralaya takes around four hours along Durgaduani creek, Bidyadhari and Gomdi Khal rivers. Pakhiralaya, also a village, has new well-built resorts for vacationers to spend their nights in comfort. According to locals and the travel-guide, the time between March and April is the most suitable to soak in the beauty of the land of mangroves or Sundri trees. The place is bound by rivers on almost all sides and the primary occupation of the villagers includes pisciculture and collecting honey from the forest. Many people lose their lives to tigers while trying to collect honey illegally from dangerous zones in the forest interiors. They worship ‘Banbibi’ or ‘Bandevi’ for keeping them safe in the forest and in water. A large section of villagers also depend on tourism for their livelihood. Villagers here recommend that vacationers spend their nights peacefully inside resorts and not on boats, keeping in mind various issues like tigers and local pirates. The Matla river of Sundarbans has an age-old association with Bengali sentiment – Uttam Kumar had romanced Sharmila Tagore here in the movie Amanush. Tourists have several options to choose for a visit, for instance the Jharkhali Tiger Reserve, probably the only place where travellers can see tigers if they are fortunate enough. A place like Sajnekhali has a museum about the demographic and geographical features of the place, the flora and fauna of Sundarbans along with a small zoo. There are two specific watch towers for observing animals in their natural habitat at Sudhanyakhali and Dobanki. The watch tower at Dobanki has a canopy attached to it. The forests provide habitat to 453 faunal lives, including 290 bird, 120 fish, 42 mammal, 35 reptile and eight amphibian species. The Sundarbans mangrove forest covers an area of approximately 10,000 sq km, of which, forests in Bangladesh’s Khulna Division extend across 6,017 sq km, and in West Bengal, they occupy 4,260 sq km across South 24 Parganas. Four protected areas in Sundarbans are enlisted as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, i.e., Sundarban National Park, Sundarban West, Sundarban South and Sundarban East Wildlife Sanctuaries. The boat ride through dense forest areas is the most enthralling part of the entire trip. It is usually a three-day trip and Mother Nature ensures that none of your precious hours is wasted. A favourite saying among boatmen is that you can probably never see the tiger but you are already being watched by the beautiful Bengal cat. A visit to the dense natural forests of Sundarbans provides the ideal gush of fresh air to whisk away horrors of our urban, concrete living – embracing all in the lap of pristine, lush nature.
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation on Tuesday raided premises belonging to a YSRCP’s Narsapuram MP candidate in Hyderabad in connection with a Rs 947 crore bank fraud case, officials here said.The agency registered a case against Raghurama Kishnam Raju and his company Ind-Barath Power Limited on Monday. Agency sleuths conducted searches at two of his residences and four offices of his company that lasted almost all day. The FIR registered in the case accuses Raju’s company of taking loans of up to Rs 2,655 crore from three public lenders, namely Power Finance Corporation (PFC), Rural Electrification Corporation, and India Finance Corporation. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghSources said that the loans were sanctioned for Raju’s company to undertake power projects in various parts of the country, but it was found that IBPL siphoned off Rs 947 crore of the loans to a third party. The agency’s FIR also mentions Axis Bank as an accused in the case. According to the complaint registered by PFC and other lenders, the bank was supposed to hold a trust account in IBPL’s name to protect the interest of lenders involved. However, after repeated amendments to the agreement between the borrower and lenders, Axis Bank allegedly did not follow procedure and allowed IBPL to transfer funds from the account on multiple occasions. The complaint to the CBI mentions that IBPL transferred more than Rs 357 crore to a third party, Sokeo Power Limited. While the lenders were made aware of this, IBPL and Sokeo allegedly entered into a conspiracy and signed a separate MoU that allowed Sokeo to send the funds back to Raju’s company without any liability. Raju is a Lok Sabha candidate from Narsapuram in Andhra Pradesh, which went to polls on April 11.
Dolphins will get national exposure in training camp.The Atlanta Falcons and New York Jets declined a chance to star in HBO’s popular, insightful show, “Hard Knocks,” which provides unprecedented insight into an NFL training camp. But the Miami Dolphins, a team struggling for an identity, did not.In its seventh season, this version offers the first time with a rookie coach, Joe Philbin.“It’s a great opportunity to connect with our fans, for the people who aren’t going to be able to come out here daily in 110-degree heat index weather and watch our guys participate in training camp,” Philbin said.HBO Sports president Ken Hershman said in a statement: “We are delighted that ‘Hard Knocks ‘ will be returning this summer and placing the spotlight on the Miami Dolphins, a venerable franchise that had an excited offseason activity. This marks the first time that series has featured a first-year head coach and we are extremely grateful to both coach Philbin and the entire organization for agreeing to participate. As always, there will be plenty on the line for veterans, free agents and rookies.”“Hard Knocks” won three Sports Emmys for its coverage of the New York Jets in 2010. The show made its debut in 2001 with the Baltimore Ravens, and has had the Dallas Cowboys (2002 and ’08), Kansas City Chiefs (2007) and Cincinnati Bengals (2009) as the focus in the past.