Boys’ soccer: Sanchez’s dream real

first_imgIf the excitement leading up to Friday’s game wasn’t enough to keep Kevin Sanchez awake at night, it’s not likely he had a much easier time getting to sleep Friday night. Sanchez sparked an outburst of excitement and celebration for the Chatsworth High boys’ soccer team when he scored the winning goal in the 79th minute of Friday’s City Section quarterfinal against visiting Sylmar. The 2-1 victory extends the third-seeded Chancellors’ deepest playoff run in more than a decade, with a matchup Wednesday at No. 2 San Fernando being the final obstacle in the way of Chatsworth’s first final since 1991. The Chancellors failed to score on three consecutive corner kicks shortly before Sanchez’s goal, but Chatsworth coach Vahan Minassian said he never felt a sense of desperation from his team. “I think we knew we had it,” Minassian said. “If we play our game, we are in control. “After that first goal, it was, `Wow, we thought it was offsides.’ But that’s why you play the game and you have to go with the ref’s calls. “These guys, they didn’t let that get to them, they never let up. My hats go off to all of them, they did a phenomenal job.” The loss was just the third of the season for sixth-seeded Sylmar (21-3-3). “That’s a fantastic team and they gave us a great game,” Minassian said. Up next is a San Fernando team that has defeated Chatsworth twice this season. [email protected] (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Teammates dogpiled on Sanchez after his decisive shot, which came off a rebound of a Travis Bowen shot that hit the post. “I couldn’t believe it,” Sanchez said. “It’s like a dream. I couldn’t even sleep last night I was thinking about the game so much. This is even better than what I’d dream. I can’t even describe it.” center_img Chatsworth (19-6-2) never led until that score in the closing minutes. The Chancellors spent much of the game trying to erase an early deficit created when Sylmar’s Cesar Sarabia scored on an open net in the third minute. Chatsworth goalkeeper Giovanni Castaneda had make a sliding play to prevent one score, but before he could get up, Sarabia ran past him for a lead that lasted until the second half. Bowen scored the tying Chatsworth’s tying goal in the 55th minute. “I think it actually helped when they got the lead,” Sanchez said. “That was important because it made us more focused and made us play our hardest the whole game.” last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *