KOLKATA, India, (CMC):Kolkata Knight Riders have expressed relief following the International Cricket Council’s decision to lift the bowling ban on their champion off-spinner Sunil Narine.The 27-year-old West Indies player was banned last November after the ICC ruled his action illegal. However, he was cleared him to return to international cricket late Thursday, after remodelling his action and then successfully undergoing tests at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai last month.And with the new Indian Premier League bowling off today, Narine’s Knight Riders teammate Shakib Al Hasan said the news was definitely welcome.”I don’t know what changes he has had now, but it is a huge relief for the team,” the Bangladeshi all-rounder said.IMPORTANT PLAYER”He is a very important part of KKR. Every time KKR has done well, he has had huge influence. It is a positive news for us.”Narine has been key to KKR’s fortunes in the IPL. His Man-of-the-Series 24 wickets in 2012 helped them to the title and captured 21 in 2014 as the Kolkata-based franchise won the title for a second time in three years.He also nabbed 22 wickets in 2013 even though KKR missed out on the playoffs.Though Narine has been sidelined for the last four months, Shakib said he did not anticipate this having a major impact on the player’s performance.”For Narine, I don’t think so the setback will matter too much,” he pointed out.”He is a world-class spinner and everybody respects him. This time, too, he will be leading the spinning attack. He has always played a vital role for KKR.”KKR take on Carlos Brathwaite’s Delhi Daredevils in Kolkata on Sunday.
According to reports in the British media on Tuesday, the injury is serious enough that Kane is facing a race against time to return to action in time for the World Cup in June.It was said Kane could be out until the end of April, which would be a major blow to Tottenham’s hopes of finishing in the Premier League’s top four and winning the FA Cup.Kane, who has scored 35 times for Tottenham this season, would only have a handful of matches remaining this term to prove his fitness to England manager Gareth Southgate.England will face Tunisia, Belgium and Panama in the World Cup group stage in Russia.When Kane was injured twice with the same problem last season, he missed seven weeks from September, then just over three weeks from March.If the latest injury is as bad as feared, Kane would miss the FA Cup quarter-final at Swansea on Saturday, the semi-final if Tottenham progress and four league fixtures, including clashes with Chelsea and Manchester City.He is also set to be absent from England’s two friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy this month.However, other reports said it has not yet been possible to discover how long Kane will be out because he hasn’t had a complete scan due to swelling around the joint.The 24-year-old was pictured with his foot in a brace and using crutches when out in Essex on Monday.The injury occurred after a collision with Bournemouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic in the first half at Dean Court.Kane tried to play on, but was forced to come off and left the ground on crutches.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Harry Kane could be out for six weeks after limping off injured against Bournemouth © AFP/File / Adrian DENNISLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 14 – Tottenham face an anxious wait to discover the extent of Harry Kane’s ankle injury amid reports the England striker could be sidelined for six weeks.Kane sustained an ankle ligament problem for the third time in 18 months during Tottenham’s 4-1 win at Bournemouth on Sunday.
Isa Arthur holding the telephone wires which were ripped from the wall the day she was robbed.The nephew of a woman who died weeks after she was burgled has pleaded with the Government to rethink their plan to scrap telephone allowance for pensioners.Joe McKean’s aunt Suzy Arthur died last week after she was thrown to the ground by burglars at her Raphoe home in July.Suzy, 89, suffered a broken hip and never came home from hospital after her horrific ordeal. Tragic Suzy lived with sister Isa, 89, at their farmhouse at Feddyglass on the main Letterkenny to Lifford Road.The elderly sisters, who have been the victim of SIX robberies, relied heavily on their phone to keep them secure and in contact with the outside world.The ladies installed special pendant phone alarms which was linked directly to their local Garda station in case of an emergency.On the day of the raid on July 1st, the callous gang who targeted the sisters managed to cut their phone wires rendering their alarm useless. But Joe says the cutting of the telephone allowance in this week’s budget will now put even more fear into elderly people living in rural areas.“I would genuinely ask them to rethink cutting the telephone allowance.“If they saw what Suzy and Isa went through when these people ransacked their home and attacked them, they would not even think about it.“Old people need this kind of security because very often it is the only security measure they have.“This kind of thing just frightens them even more and makes them feel as if nobody at all cares about them. “Isa and Suzy felt safe once they had this pendant in case anything happened around the house and there are thousands of old people around the country like them.“What kind of message are we sending our to our old people when we are cutting allowances from them when the number of burglaries is increasing everyday?” he said.Joe said Isa is fortunate in that she has friends and family living close by and she is now in a position to be able to install security cameras at her home.But he says that not all elderly people can afford any kind of security measure. “With each passing budget, elderly people are getting less and less.“Elderly people are trying to scrape the money together to buy a bag of coal.“People might not think losing a phone allowance is a major thing but tell that to an old person trying to budget for every penny they have each week.“People in Government need to put themselves in the shoes of old folk and see how badly something like this will put fear into them,” he said.Farmer Joe, who regularly called in to check on his elderly aunts, says Isa is trying to cope as best she can following the death of her sister last week.“I would love for them to come back and see the harm they have done.“They may have caused one death but they have ruined so many lives. I don’t know how they can lives with themselves,” he said.NEPHEW OF TRAGIC PENSIONER BEGS GOVT NOT TO SCRAP PHONE ALLOWANCE was last modified: October 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:budgetburglaryISA ARTHURJoe McKeanphone allowanceRaphoeSuzy Arthur
Mikey Place’s lone goal secured Finn Harps a valiant three points in their bid for survival at the Waterford Regional Sports Centre on Friday night. Place comfortably slotted away an 80th penalty kick after being upended by Georgie Poynton inside he 18-yard box.The victory puts Finn Harps level with UCD on 17 points having played two more games than the Students. Mikey Place spot kick earns Finn Harps a valiant three points against Waterford was last modified: July 22nd, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Thom Janini has been appointed interim director of The Ohio State University Agricultural Technical Institute, beginning Aug. 1.The two-year degree-granting institution of the university’s College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, Ohio State ATI is ranked No. 1 in the nation in the awarding of associate degrees in agriculture and related sciences.Janini is associate professor of chemistry and chair of the Arts, Science, and Business Technologies Division at Ohio State ATI. He will take over for current interim director Jim Kinder and will lead the institution until a new director is appointed.“I’m grateful for Thom’s willingness to provide leadership during this critical transitional period,” said Ron Hendrick, acting CFAES dean and vice president for agricultural administration.“Thom has already provided valuable administrative leadership in his role as divisional chair, and he’s been a thought leader during the ATI re-envisioning and campus integration discussions. We look forward to his addition to the college’s leadership team.”A native of northeast Ohio, Janini holds a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Kent State University. He worked for nearly a decade in the coatings and pharmaceutical industries in New Jersey and then returned to Ohio to teach. He joined Ohio State ATI in 2007 as assistant professor of chemistry.“I welcome the opportunity to further serve the students and the institute in this capacity,” Janini said. “I want to make sure that we stay on the right track and build on the momentum we have as a result of the work of our present director.”
New Delhi, Nov 8 (PTI) As air pollution reached alarming levels in the national capital, major city hospitals witnessed a surge in the number of patients complaining of respiratory problems with doctors saying some may develop life-threatening conditions.While people were seen wearing masks to protect themselves outdoors, there was a spurt in fresh cases in hospitals and conditions of patients with history of asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD) and cardio- vascular diseases deteriorated.”Patients have started coming to the OPDs with complaints of breathlessness, coughing, sneezing, tightness in chest, allergy and asthma complications. There is about 20 per cent rise in patients seeking treatment due to respiratory and cardiac issues,” said AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria, who is a also a renowned pulmonologist.He, however, said that N95 masks and air purifiers, whose sale has increased in the last few days, may not provide full-time protection and stressed on implementation of long- term measures to tackle the crisis.He also compared the situation in the national capital with the Great Smog of 1952 in London–a severe air pollution event which led to death of over 4,000 people–and said pollution is at such a severe level that patients with respiratory and cardiac problems may develop life-threatening conditions.”This is a silent killer,” he said. The centre-run Safdarjung hospital also witnessed an increase in such patients in its OPDs and casualties over the past two days, professor and head of pulmonary medicine at the hospital J C Suri said.He said the immediate effects are cough, throat infections and pneumonia, but in the long term the results could be disastrous as one could also develop lung cancer.advertisement”Elderly and children are more likely to develop infections and allergies due to smog and pollution. So they should avoid going out during the early morning and at dusk hours when the toxic level is at its peak,” Suri said.”Also, when pollution levels rise, the condition of those suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) or asthama or heart disease worsens,” he said.According to Vivek Nangia, Director and HOD, Pulmonology, Fortis Flt Lt Rajan Dhall Hospital, there has been a 25 per cent increase in OPD footfall in the past 24 hours of patients with various kinds of respiratory stress.”These comprise not only first time walk-in patients but also repeat patients. The situation is grim with the disease being more protracted due to the severely poor air quality.”This is leading to longer recovery times, more dependence on steroids, antibiotics and inhalers. The situation will continue till the pollution levels are brought under control,” Nangia said.Rajesh Chawla, Senior Consultant (Critical care, pulmonary and sleep disorders) at Indraprastha Apollo hospitals suggested that people avoid indulging in outdoor physical activity and wear good quality masks and keep their eyes, nose and mouth covered.Delhis air quality was at the seasons worst yesterday as a combined effect of smoke from stubble burning and moisture which turned the city into a “gas chamber” leaving people gasping and prompting authorities to announce closure of primary schools and a four-fold hike in parking fees among a series of sweeping measures.As a thick blanket of haze hung low over the city, visibility levels plunged, affecting flight and train operations. It permeated living rooms and even the underground metro stations in the city making it difficult to breathe, turning eyes watery and producing burning sensation.The Indian Medical Association said the capital was witnessing a “public health emergency” and appealed to the government to stop outdoor sports and other such activities in schools to protect the health of children. PTI PLB AAR
zoomIllustration; Image Courtesy: Pexels, Under CC0 License Licence Scorpio Bulkers and Scorpio Tankers, units of Scorpio Shipping Group, have signed letters of intent (LOIs) for the purchase and installation of scrubbers on the companies’ vessels. The LOIs were inked with suppliers, engineering firms, and ship repair facilities and are subject the execution of definitive documentation, according to the two companies.Following its entry into an agreement to retrofit fifteen of its LR2s with exhaust gas cleaning systems, Scorpio Tankers has agreed LOIs to cover the purchase and installation of scrubbers on substantially all of its remaining owned and financed leased LR2, LR1, and MR tanker vessels — approximately 75 vessels — between the second quarter of 2019 and the second quarter of 2020.As informed, the scrubbers and their installation are expected to cost between USD 1.5 and USD 2.2 million per vessel, and the company anticipates that between 60-70% of these costs will be financed.“We have long maintained that the IMO 2020 regulations are both disruptive to the shipping industry generally as well as a powerful demand catalyst for product tankers. Although many well-capitalized and publicly-listed shipowners can source capital and publicize their intentions to pursue scrubbers, most of our industry cannot, and will rely on cleaner fuels to the benefit of ton-mile demand for product tankers,” Emanuele Lauro, Chairman & CEO, commented.“Irrespective, our focus remains on operating the most competitive fleet in our marketplace, and this has led us to carefully evaluate and ultimately opt for the benefits of fitting hybrid-ready scrubbers on approximately 90 ships in our fleet,” Lauro added.Scorpio Tankers currently owns or finance leases 109 product tankers with an average age of 3.2 years and time or bareboat charters‐in 13 product tankers.What is more, Scorpio Bulkers has agreed letters of intent to buy and install scrubbers on substantially all of its owned and finance leased Kamsarmax and Ultramax vessels from the second quarter of 2019 until the third quarter of 2020.The purchase and installation of the systems will also cost between USD 1.5 and USD 2.2 million per vessel. It is anticipated that between 60-70% of these costs will be financed, Scorpio Bulkers said. “Having cautiously and patiently evaluated various risks associated with this disruptive change to our industry, we are now confident that substantial savings can be realized,” Lauro further said.Scorpio Bulkers has an operating fleet of 57 vessels consisting of 56 wholly-owned or finance leased drybulk vessels, and one time chartered-in Ultramax vessel. The company’s owned and finance leased fleet has a total carrying capacity of approximately 3.9 million dwt.