Controversy Continues Over Charter School

first_imgBy John BurtonRED BANK – A meeting between members of the local press and charter school officials seemed to turn up the heat on the antagonism over the school’s expansion proposal.Principal Meredith Pennotti, Board of Trustees Vice President Roger Foss and school business administrator David Block met with four area reporters on Feb. 10 at the Red Bank Charter School, 58 Oakland St., to offer the school’s perspective on its plans.The school is currently awaiting state Commissioner of Education David Hespe’s decision on its proposal to double enrollment to 400 students over the next three years, as well as expanding its facility space.Charter school officials planned to use its own public forum held earlier this month at recently leased 135 Monmouth St. space to “give the press an open forum” in addition to giving community members a chance to be heard, and for the school to announce it would amend its plan to stagger the future enrollment for the town’s benefit, Pennotti said.But given the large number of people in attendance that night, officials thought it would be better to dedicate the bulk of the time to public comments.“We don’t feel like we met that goal,” of giving reporters a chance to ask questions, Pennotti said.But some countered that the press meeting was an attempt to manipulate local media, to sway public opinion given the vocal opposition the charter school has faced since its plans became public last December.“I just keep feeling they keep reporting the same things over and over without anybody requesting they substantiate their claims,” charged Jared Rumage, Red Bank superintendent of schools.Rumage and others have pointed out that the charter school had an opportunity to present their views at a Jan. 22 forum at the middle school and at their own forum as well, where school officials sat silent as community members spoke. Charter school officials at the last minute decided to decline the invitation to appear at the middle school event, leaving Rumage to present the public school’s point of view.The deadline to submit public comment on the charter school’s proposal to the commissioner of education was Jan. 31. Hespe’s decision is expected by the end of February.“We want to do more for the population of Red Bank,” Pennotti said of the school’s proposal. She pointed to her school’s continuing wait list, currently around 90 students. She added that the public school population is growing, with the schools “bursting at the seams.” She believed the expansion might offer some relief to the existing public school facility.The charter school’s application is on the school’s website and on record with the state Department of Education and available to the public.Much of the two-hour session revolved around points that the school has raised previously and countering some accusations from critics – which also have been expressed before.Rumage and others have said charter school students receive more money per student than their public school counterparts. But administrator Brock said that is misleading, given that actual dollars from the school district equates to less money per student than for the charter school students. The charter school receives an additional roughly a little more than $1 million in direct state aid.That, Rumage had countered, doesn’t negate the impact the charter school funding has on the public school district and what this expansion would mean for the public school and taxpayers – an often repeated refrain from opponents of the plan.“If this goes through, they’re failing to address this main concept,” Rumage said, “we will not be able to provide a thorough and efficient education for the kids who are left behind.”“The charter school is supposed to offer an alternative,” Pennotti offered another often repeated refrain of charter school supporters here and elsewhere. She said her school is providing innovative programs in a small school environment and offering families a choice, “That will attract families.”last_img read more

See More

Saints added some grit to lineup of two-time defending BCIHL champs

first_imgThe Selkirk Saints added some grit to the lineup for the 2014/15 B.C. Intercollegiate Hockey League season.The Saints announced a playing commitment from forward Tyler Kerner of Taber, Alta., to attend Selkirk College.”Tyler is a hard-working, physical winger who plays the game with lots of energy and competes hard,” head coach Jeff Dubois of the two-time defending BCIHL Champion Saints said. “He really fits the profile of the type of player we were looking to add to what is shaping up as a very skilled group. We see Tyler being a guy who sets a physical tone for us and who makes himself and his line difficult to play against, particularly versus top players on other teams.”Kerner is a 5-foot-11, 205 pound winger who spent the last three seasons in the Alberta Junior Hockey League playing with the Lloydminster Bobcats, Drumheller Dragons and Olds Grizzlys.He split the 2013/14 campaign between Drumheller and Olds, where he scored once while adding nine assists and 85 penalty minutes in 36 regular season and playoff games.Over the course of his Junior A career, Kerner scored nine goals and totaled 32 points and 255 penalty minutes in 112 AJHL games. “I’m very excited to start my post-secondary career with the Saints and join a winning organization,” said Kerner, who describes himself as playing a physical, simple, role game while taking pride in taking care of his own zone first.”I think of myself as a leader who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. I work very well beneath the crease protecting the puck while trying to find players to set up in the offensive zone.” Kerner plans to enter Selkirk’s Business Administration program.”I’m looking forward to moving to the community of Castlegar, as it reminds me of the town I was raised in,” Kerner explains.”The small classes are also a huge benefit, knowing that there will be more attention to help me get the most out of my schooling. My academic goal this year will be to achieve a GPA of 3.5 or higher. On the ice, I want to develop my game while helping my team capture a third straight BCIHL championship.” Kerner is the Saints’ ninth commitment for the 2014/15 season, joining forwards Ryan Edwards (Beaver Valley, KIJHL), Jamie Vlanich (Nelson Leafs, KIJHL), Alex Milligan (Peninsula Panthers, VIJHL), Matt Martin (Ontario Avalanche, WSHL) and Connor Beauchemin (Castlegar Rebels, KIJHL), as well as defencemen Curtis Toneff (Campbell River Storm, VIJHL) and Danny Vlanich (Surrey Eagles, BCHL), and goaltender Steven Glass (Nipawin Hawks, SJHL).last_img read more

See More

Nelson players earn selection to U15 BC Cup

first_imgThe Nelson players were selected following a vigorous three-day camp during which participants were put through numerous on and off ice training and skills development sessions.Five zones throughout the province hosted more than 300 players during the tryouts. The Nelson players attended a camp in Trail.During the BC Cup, BC Hockey and the Western Hockey League will be putting the players through the WHL Combine Testing.The testing will include on and off ice sessions along with a round robin tournament.  Select players may be invited to the Male U16 Provincial Camp July 11-16, 2017 in Shawnigan Lake.The BC Hockey Male Program of Excellence was introduced in 1980 with the mandate to systematically identify and train the province’s elite-level players for high performance hockey events.The overall objective of the program is to increase the chances of athletes from BC to compete provincially, regionally, nationally and internationally with the ultimate goal being selected to Hockey Canada’s National Junior or National Senior Team. A handful of Nelson boys have advance to the second stage of the BC Hockey Under 15 BC Hockey’s Program of Excellence.Noah Quinn, Kaleb Percival, Joe Davidson and Lowie and Tijs Vreys were selected to attend the U15 BC Cup set for May 11-14 at the South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton.Eight jamboree style teams have been drafted by BC Hockey evaluators to compete in the tournament. last_img read more

See More

STABLE NOTES BY ED GOLDEN – SUNDAY JULY 10, 2016

first_imgSANTA ANITA HOSTS BREEDERS’ CUP NOV. 4 & 5CHAMPION STELLAR WIND WORKS FOR HIRSCHSMITH BACK HOME FOLLOWING BELMONT SCORESECURITY’S MIKE JACOBELLIS RETIRES TODAYDERBY WINNER NYQUIST BREEZES TOMORROW Brandon Boulanger5861510%21%$159,199 SANTA ANITA STATISTICS Mike Smith45158133%53%$1,014,947 Richard Baltas6410121416%56%$477,060 Doug O’Neill10512222111%52%$872,676 Richard Mandella4195722%51%$724,512 Brayan Pena676589%28%$154,340 James Cassidy4574616%38%$427,845 Rafael Bejarano19044423123%62%$2,523,132 Kent Desormeaux61119618%43%$484,775 FINISH LINES: Kentucky Derby king Nyquist will work five furlongs at 6:30 tomorrow morning under Mario Gutierrez, trainer Doug O’Neill reported Sunday. A decision on his next race is expected in the next few days . . . Coppa, who remained unbeaten in three starts with her win in Belmont Park’s Grade III Victory Ride at 6 ½ furlongs Saturday under Joe Talamo for Phil D’Amato, is being considered for Saratoga’s Grade I, $500,000 Test Stakes for three-year-old fillies at seven furlongs Aug. 6, the trainer said . . . Santa Anita Derby winner Dortmund, a candidate for Del Mar’s San Diego Handicap July 23, worked six furlongs in company Sunday for Bob Baffert in 1:13.20 from the gate. Stablemate Vale Dori got 1:13.40 . . .GOOD LUCK TO TRACK ANNOUNCER MICHAEL WRONA, AS HE AND FIANCE’ KATHY KENNEDY WILL MARRY NEXT SUNDAY IN LAKE TAHOE . . . There are mandatory payouts in the Pick Six and Super High Five today. The total Pick Six pool is expected to exceed $500,000. Tiago Pereira11012161711%41%$539,967 CHAMP STELLAR WIND IN ‘EXCELLENT’ DRILLStellar Wind, champion three-year-old filly of 2015, worked six furlongs in company under Victor Espinoza Sunday in 1:14.20 as she prepares for a rematch with three-time Eclipse Award winner Beholder in the Grade I Clement L. Hirsch Stakes at Del Mar July 30.Beholder and Stellar Wind ran one-two in the Grade I Vanity Mile at Santa Anita June 4.John Sadler, who trains Stellar Wind for the Hronis brothers, Kosta and Peter, had Carnival Lights as her workmate. She was clocked in 1:15.80.“It was an excellent work,” Espinoza said of Stellar Wind. “She was brilliant today. Now she’s ready to go. The Vanity got her fit for the next race and even though it’s against Beholder who’s a champ, too, you never know what will happen. Stellar Wind is doing great.”The Vanity was Stellar Wind’s first race since last Oct. 30, when she finished a troubled second by a neck in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Keeneland. (Current Through Saturday, July 9) TrainerSts1st2nd3rdWin%ITM%Money Won Mark Glatt7314151119%55%$503,651 MIKE JACOBELLIS TURNS IN BADGE TODAY            After serving for 10 years with Santa Anita Security, which was preceded by a 32-year run with LAPD, Mike Jacobellis will retire from The Great Race Place today and be honored in a Winner’s Circle ceremony following the fourth race.A graduate of Alhambra High School, Jacobellis, who is currently an Area Manager overseeing plain-clothed personnel, leaves a legacy of good will with fans, jockeys, horsemen and fellow employees.“We are very fortunate to have had Mike on staff for the past 10 years,” said Santa Anita Chief of Security, Lou Scalera. “Mike gets along with everyone and he’s an outstanding cop. He retired from LAPD as a Detective Sergeant and he pays attention and follows up on things in a very professional manner.“Although he’s leaving us to spend more time with his family, we will have him here for the Breeders’ Cup in November and we hope to have him next year on big days, like the Santa Anita Derby and the Big ‘Cap.“Given the fact that he’s met so many owners, trainers and jockeys over the years, I’d be surprised if we didn’t see him every now again as a fan. It’s hard not to develop a love for this game when you’re so close to everyone involved in it.” Chad Lindsay731381218%45%$315,100 Martin Pedroza831391216%41%$403,100 Flavien Prat15840272325%57%$1,946,640 Edwin Maldonado15627231717%43%$1,094,450center_img Bob Baffert561612629%61%$862,103 Stewart Elliott979879%25%$395,200 Tyler Baze19631403816%56%$1,573,731 Peter Eurton4796519%43%$500,660 Simon Callaghan3173223%39%$316,965 JockeyMts1st2nd3rdWin%ITM%Money Won Philip D’Amato992520925%55%$1,606,938 Mario Gutierrez78916612%40%$695,300 Joseph Talamo13926192019%47%$1,527,073 Alonso Quinonez56610711%41%$266,730 HOME COURSE ADVANTAGE FOR BREEDERS’ CUP?Santa Anita hosts the Breeders’ Cup World championships for an unprecedented ninth time come Nov. 4 and 5.Whether it can be a home course advantage or not depends on who you talk to. Trainer Ron Ellis, for one, says there is a benefit in not shipping and running on a track just a hundred yards away in your own back yard.“I think it’s similar to a football team that doesn’t have to play on the road,” said Ellis, who hopes to have his crack sprinter, Masochistic, ready for either the Dirt Mile or the Sprint.“While they’re not necessarily creatures of habit, athletes and horses seem more comfortable in familiar surroundings. The home teams don’t have to travel, nor do horses based at Santa Anita, and that can reduce intangibles such as stress, which doesn’t help.”Bob Baffert, whose horses have flown worldwide, says it makes no never mind to him and his stock.“It’s more of an economic advantage than anything,” said the Hall of Fame trainer who has made Santa Anita his base of operations for more than two decades. “You don’t have to spend any extra money shipping because the horses are here.“There might be a horse or two that wouldn’t have shipped well, but otherwise, I don’t think it’s a big deal. If you have good horses, they’ll come through. All my horses ship well. I ship a lot and they’re used to it. My success rate is pretty high.” Martin Garcia811361416%41%$712,434 Peter Miller591015717%54%$485,955 Mike Puype54117620%44%$360,850 John Sadler65971414%46%$750,278 Fernando Perez10113111113%35%$557,713 Jerry Hollendorfer771581519%49%$1,050,183 SMITH RETURNS FOLLOWING SUBURBAN WIN AT BELMONT PARK            Mike Smith, who joined fellow Hall of Famer Gary Stevens for a special Beholder/Songbird poster signing prior to Sunday’s races, was still “feeling it” following his big win aboard Effinex in Saturday’s Grade I, mile and a quarter Suburban Handicap yesterday at Belmont Park.“When he puts it all together, he’s a serious horse. He can run with the best of the best,” said Smith of the Jimmy Jerkins trainee who is pointing to an eventual engagement in the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic at Santa Anita on Nov. 5. “He can beat ’em when he puts his mind to it; he’s just not always in a stable frame of mind (jokingly).”Yesterday he was on and ran brilliant . . . Belmont’s a funny track. The size of the track, the turns . . . You can pull the trigger way too soon there and it can play tricks on you . . . but I’ve been there since the ’80s, so it helps to know it. I love going, but I love coming back!” Santiago Gonzalez18323253113%43%$1,138,703 Patrick Gallagher2972224%38%$266,100last_img read more

See More