GPF hands over cash, hamper to Commander Robinson

first_imgCommander of G Division (Essequibo Coast-Islands), Superintendent Crystal Robinson, who suffered tremendous losses after a fire of unknown origin razed her Stewartville, West Coast Demerara (WCD) property last weekend was the recipient of an undisclosed sum of cash and a food hamper from the Guyana Police Force.Acting Police Commissioner Nigel Hoppie, DSM, hands over the cheque to Commander RobinsonActing Police Commissioner Nigel Hoppie, DSM, handed over the items to Robinson in the Commissioner’s Conference Room in the presence of several senior officers and once again assured of the Force’s commitment in supporting victims of disasters.Robinson was extremely pleased for the assistance and expressed sincere thanks to the Guyana Police Force for its support.last_img

See More

‘Sign Schneiderlin; buy Kane for £10m!’ – How Wenger should spend his 2015 summer transfer budget

first_imgIt was a valiant effort, but in the end Arsenal couldn’t do enough to squeeze past Monaco and into the quarter-finals of the Champions League.While a number of Gooners have taken this as evidence that the club are still going in the right direction, there are large swathes of supporters who feel that something needs to happen during the summer months.With that in mind we asked how Wenger should spend his 2015 summer transfer budget, and the responses were interesting.Click the arrow to see some of the more sane and outlandish suggestions below…Arsenal fans, how do you think Wenger should spend his 2015 summer transfer budget? Comment below… Arsene Wenger will likely be handed a sizeable transfer budget 1last_img

See More

Boeing delivers first B737 MAX

first_imgPhoto: Boeing US planemaker Boeing has overcome the engine problems which threatened to derail its 737 MAX delivery schedule to hand over the first plane to launch customer Malindo Air.The B737 MAX 8 was handed over to the Malaysian full-service carrier at the manufacturer’s delivery centre in Seattle On Tuesday.Boeing issued a brief statement on the landmark event which failed to mention engine manufacturing problems that led to the entire Boeing 737 MAX fleet being grounded briefly last week.Malindo is a joint venture involving Indonesia’s Lion Air Group and Malaysia’s National Aerospace and Defence Industries.It began flying in 2013 and has expanded to operate a network of scheduled passenger services throughout Malaysia as well as to regional destinations in Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Singapore, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Australia and Pakistan.The leased plane is in Batik Air Malaysia livery ahead of the airline’s rebranding in the second half of this year. The plan is for Batik Air Malaysia to focus on international routes and provide Indonesian sibling Batik Airways with regional feeder trafficMalindo Air chief executive Chandran Rama Muthy said the airline’s fleet of Boeing 737NGs had served the carrier well and he believed the MAX would become the centrepiece of its fleet.“These new aircraft will allow us to go to further destinations and will play a key role in providing lower air fares to our customers,’’ he said.The engine manufacturing problem at a CFM contractor is seen as a minor glitch in a program that has run remarkably smoothly for the fastest selling passenger jet in Boeing’s history.US Media reports say about 30 LEAP 1B engines have been sent back to manufacturer CFM International for inspections because of concerns a manufacturing defect in a low-pressure turbine disc could lead to cracks.The US Federal Aviation Administration last week cleared aircraft fitted with the unaffected engines and Boeing has since confirmed that the 737 MAX  has resumed all flying activities.“Regulatory authorities have granted CFM and Boeing approval to begin the full range of business, test and certification-related flight activities,’’ the manufacturer told AirlineRatings. Boeing has received almost 3700 orders for the latest iterations of its single-aisle workhorse from 87 customers around the world.The debut of the MAX comes after its competitor, The Airbus A320neo, has been in service since early 2016.The 320neo has also had problems with one of its engine options, the Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan,  although its CFM LEAP-1A engines were unaffected by the problem seen with Boeing’s LEAP-1Bs.last_img read more

See More

Brand South Africa hosts Afcon journos

first_img18 January 2013Brand South Africa is hosting journalists visiting South Africa for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) this week. The tour kicked off in Durban on Thursday with a visit to the striking Moses Mabhida Stadium, a Fifa World Cup stadium and the venue for five Afcon matches.The visiting journalists represented a mix of sports and business publications from countries including Russia, Zambia, Brazil and Qatar.“The purpose of such tours is to position South Africa in terms of the business of sport. We want to show the legacy left by the Fifa World Cup. We also want to show that South Africa is serious about inter-regional development,” explained Sandile Ngidi of Brand South Africa.Trade destinationThe day began at the Elangeni Hotel, where a number of short talks were presented, highlighting KwaZulu-Natal as a trade destination.Phillip Sithole, the head of KwaZulu-Natal Tourism, said investing in sports events such as the Fifa World Cup had produced an excellent return on investment for the city.“If you look at the benefits we received from the World Cup as well as [UN climate change summit] COP 17 , they now amount to billions of rands,” Sithole said. “Hosting major events also addresses issues around infrastruture; you can’t host major events if you don’t have the infrastructure for them.”The most visible symbol of the infrastructure development for major events in the city of Durban is undoubtedly the Moses Mabhida Stadium with its massive arch, which begins in two pieces on the south side of the stadium before coming together as one, representing the coming together of the South African nation.Stadium tourIt was thus a natural choice to take a tour of the stadium, which was buzzing with activity ahead of Afcon 2013. A guided tour included a visit to the very well equipped and spacious players’ changing rooms and a journey to the top of the arch on the SkyCar. From there, one took in a wonderful panoramic view of the surrounding city.During the morning meeting, the journalists also learnt about the Sharks rugby team, which is based in Durban. Not only is the Sharks one of the most successful brands in KwaZulu-Natal and South Africa, it is also on of South Africa’s top 100 brands, making it a “superbrand”.Sharks’ advertising and match day events manager Novashni Chetty laid out the holistic approach of the franchise to Durban, KwaZulu-Natal and beyond and explained how the players have become an integral part of different communities and helped to uplift them.The Sharks’ reach was emphasised by an anti-bullying campaign that has gone beyond the boundaries of South Africa, and the signing of a deal with United Arab Emirates Rugby for the Sharks to open three academies in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and Dubai.Trade and InvestmentClaude Pretorius, destination marketing manager of Trade and Investment KwaZulu-Natal, said major events such as the Fifa World Cup and Afcon 2013 were opportunities to create awareness.“Because of the awareness around these big events, it’s an opportunity for us to host our target audience during these events. While they’re here we give them an opportunity to see the existing infrastructure, to see the planned projects, to see what the opportunities are,” Pretorius said.“What is also very important is the amount of international publicity that South Africa gets for free, which would otherwise be very expensive for us,” he added.Durban Container TerminalIn the afternoon, the group also paid a visit to Transnet’s Durban Container Terminal in the Durban Harbour, the busiest port in Africa. The evening featured dinner at the uShaka Marine World theme park.The visit to Durban was day one of a tour for the journalists that will include the opening ceremony and opening matches of Afcon 2013 at the National Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

See More

Open to out-of-tribunal settlement on Mahadayi dispute: Goa

first_imgMarking a clear departure from its stand against any out-of-court settlement in the long simmering Mahadayi water dispute with Karnataka, the Goa Minister for Water Resources, Vinod Palyekar, said on Thursday they were open to talks with Karnataka and Maharashtra to explore an out-of-tribunal settlement.He was replying to a question by The Hindu on the state government’s response to Karnataka Chief Minister’s letter requesting the Goa Chief Minister to come for talks to which Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadanvis has also given support.Mr. Palyekar said that once Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar returns from U.S. on Friday, he will discuss the issue with him. When asked what made Goa government change its “very rigid stance” of sticking to tribunal verdict only, Mr. Palyekar, who represents the Goa Forward Party in the BJP-led coalition government in the state, remarked that all three States have been spending huge money over the dispute and the legal battle has been on for long. It would be in the fitness of things to explore an amicable solution, he said.When asked whether Goa would change its earlier stand that it will not allow one drop of water to Karnataka beyond what the tribunal accepted, as a precursor to talks for an out-of-court settlement, Mr. Palyekar said that Goa has only Mahadayi as its main source of water as against Karnataka which has many such sources. Therefore, he would not like to commit anything at this stage.“But they have some other suggestions, what is the harm in discussing and talking to find if some solution emerges which will not adversely affect us and at the same time will have something for them as well?” asked Mr. Palyekar.Mr. Palyekar said he had recently met Karnataka Minister for Water Resources M.B. Patil at a function in Karnataka where the latter broached the water dispute issue and indicated that they have some proposals like building power plants in joint association with Goa.“At least it is my personal view that it would be advisable for all the three States as well as for the country if we can sort out our issues through talks. It would save money as well as time and energy,” he said.When asked about the strong pressure exerted by environmentalists and civil society that with the tribunal expected to give its verdict next month before the expiry of its term, any deviation by the Goa government would compromise it’s interest, the Minister said that his view was that “talks is an option to negotiate and discuss issues, to have a give and take, to reduce the differences and to come to a solution where, as long as Goa’s interest is not compromised, there should not be any problem.”“I am of the opinion that it would be a better option to work for an out-of-court settlement by agreeing to discuss the issue. That is what I will tell the Chief Minister,” Mr. Palyekar reiterated.“We have made it clear that Goa cannot release water. But if they have some other suggestions, why not hear them and try and see of some solution can come out,” he said. asked the Minister when asked Goa has taken firm stand over some works continued by Karnataka despite tribunal order to the contrary.Goa and Karnataka are battling out the long simmering dispute over the latter’s controversial Kalsa-Bhandura dam projects across the Mahadayi, which is known as the Mandovi river once it enters Goa. Considered the lifeline in the northern parts of the state, it originates in Karnataka and meets the Arabian Sea in Panaji. While the river traverses 28.8 km in Karnataka, its major length of 81.2 km is in Goa. Karnataka plans to construct seven dams on the river, aimed at diverting the waters into its water-starved Malaprabha basin in North Karnataka. Goa has opposed any plans of Karnataka to divert waters from one basin to another. Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, whose earlier attempts to get previous BJP Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar to come for talks for an out-of-court settlement failed, has written to Mr. Parrikar on Wednesday asking him to agree to a joint meeting with their Maharashtra counterpart in order to find an ‘out of court’ and amicable resolution to the Mahadayi water dispute issue.last_img read more

See More

London Olympics: Allison Schmitt wins women’s 200m freestyle swimming

first_imgUS swimmer Allison Schmitt stormed to grab the gold in the women’s 200m freestyle final at the London Olympics. Schmitt clocked an Olympic record time of 1 minute, 53.61 to win comfortably ahead of Camille Muffat of France, who timed 1:55.58 on Tuesday.Bronte Barratt of Australia claimed the bronze in 1:55.88, with Missy Franklin of the United States missing out on a podium place by one hundredth of a second.last_img

See More

State of Origin

first_imgThe New South Wales Touch Association (NSWTA) will host the Queensland Touch Association (QTA) at Tempe on Friday, 23 August and Saturday, 24 August 2008. The fiercest of rivals will compete in Men’s Open, Women’s Open, Mixed Open, Men’s 20’s, Women’s 20’s, Men’s 30’s, Women’s 30’s, Men’s 35’s, Women’s 35’s, Men’s 40’s, Women’s 40’s, Men’s 45’s, and Men’s 50’s divisions to determine the overall winner.The two states last competed in 2006 where NSWTA defeated QTA winning seven of the thirteen divisions. QTA will be looking to add to their three titles won since the inaugural State of Origin Series was conducted at the NSW State Cup in Port Macquarie in 1995.For more information about the 2008 State of Origin, please visit the website – http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?assoc=931&pID=14last_img read more

See More

a month agoLiverpool youngster Cain overjoyed with first professional contract

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool youngster Cain overjoyed with first professional contractby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveJake Cain says it’s a dream come true signing his first professional contract with Liverpool.The 18-year-old midfielder, who has been with the club since the age of nine, penned terms earlier this week.”It’s a dream come true really,” Cain told Liverpoolfc.com.”It has been one of my aspirations all my life and it has finally happened. I’m buzzing with that and all my family are made up as well.”I was at the Academy and Alex [Inglethorpe] called me into his room and offered it to me. I was over the moon to get it signed.” last_img

See More

a month agoMan Utd, Liverpool informed of price for Bayer Leverkusen whiz Havertz

first_imgMan Utd, Liverpool informed of price for Bayer Leverkusen whiz Havertzby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBayer Leverkusen whiz Kai Havertz is attracting big Premier League interest.The Daily Express says Manchester United and Liverpool have been told they must pay £90million to sign Havertz.German midfielder Havertz is expected to be one of next summer’s hottest transfer properties after he said he could be on the move next summer.Speaking to Sportbuzzer, Havertz said: “I am happy to stay at Leverkusen for one more year. What happens next summer will be experienced in the future.”The 20-year-old has been linked with interest from United and Liverpool as well as Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund.And while he is contracted to Leverkusen until the summer of 2022, it is believed the Bundesliga club are ready to cash in. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

See More

16 days ago​Man City boss Guardiola ‘lost cool’ with David Silva

first_imgAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say ​Man City boss Guardiola ‘lost cool’ with David Silvaby Ansser Sadiq16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss reportedly lost his temper with one of the senior members of his squad.Guardiola reportedly laid into his countryman, midfielder David Silva.The manager is said to have accused Silva of not running enough in their recent home defeat to Wolves in the Premier League.It is a result that puts two-time reigning Premier League champions City eight points behind Liverpool.Guardiola has reportedly tried to remain calm throughout the season, as he does not want to add further anxiety to the City squad.But he laid into Silva after the Wolves game, per the Daily Mail. He allegedly told the midfielder: “David, you didn’t give us enough running. Where were the legs?”Silva is in his last season at the club and is seen as one of City’s greatest ever players. last_img read more

See More