Samukai Unhappy with ‘Deception’

first_imgK-Delta female basketball owner, Abraham Samukai is unhappy with the ‘deceptive influence’ being used in resolving the leadership crisis in the Liberia Basketball Association, he told the Daily Observer in an interview yesterday in Monrovia.At the June 3 final resolution meeting held at the Ministry of Youth & Sports, the current administration and aggrieved basketball stakeholders agreed on seven counts.The seventh count stated that the embattled president Rufus Anderson leadership shall remain the legitimate body to lead the process for the organization of a congress by the weekend of August 7.Prior to this arrangement, the Ministry of Youth & Sports, unable to resolve the conflict had sought the intervention of FIBA Africa, the continental body supervising basketball in Africa.FIBA Africa accepted the invitation but after several months later, contacted the Ministry of Youth & Sports to find out if something had been done.AFIBA Africa wrote: “Is there a federation on the ground? Or is it a caretaker committee? Is the Ministry of Sports running the federation?”The second recommendation to the Ministry of Youth & Sports from AFIBA Africa said: “What your ministry can do is to hold an election or set up a caretaker committee and write to AFIBA Africa and the Zone immediately….”Samukai told the Daily Observer that “The ministry did not make us aware of the suggestions from AFIBA Africa when we held the final meeting on Wednesday, June 3.”And that’s why he is angry. “I hate such deceit against our determination to resolve a conflict that has held back our basketball development,” he said.Since aggrieved stakeholders are not happy with Rufus Anderson’s leadership, and since his administration has ended, he said the ministry should not have withheld the information advanced by AFBA Africa which could have allowed the aggrieved a chance to accept the lesser of the two evils, recommendations.The Anderson administration has been accused of financial impropriety, following the hosting of a West Africa basketball tournament in Monrovia in which U$15,000 was unaccounted for, and questions were also raised on the expenditure of U$70,000 provided by the Liberian government.“If the ministry is interested in how public funds are used,” Samukai said, “it could have helped resolve the conflict by accepting the aggrieved stakeholders’ position for an interim administration.”He asked: “Why did the ministry keep the suggestions from the highest body that it has sought assistance to resolve the crisis from the stakeholders who had sought an interim leadership?”This is where he thinks the Ministry of Youth & Sports is playing a cat and mouse game and an element of deception has crept in to frustrate the best means of resolving a conflict that has bogged down all basketball activities.And while the crisis is yet to be resolved, the Ministry of Youth & Sports, though has banned all basketball activities, provided U$11,500 and Ld56,000 to the administration that had been unable to provide proper accountability to the previous U85,000 for a trip to Nigeria recently.Samukai said, “It means that documents for the forthcoming congress must include the expenditure of the recent funds for the Nigeria trip.”And may be, afterwards, Samukai’s angry could be pacified, for he told this reporter that “basketball made me who I am and I have the passion to give back to society.”Youth & Sports sources told the Daily Observer that the ministry is not neglecting its responsibility in resolving the leadership crisis.“I cannot comment on whether information was kept away from the contending parties,” a source said, “it is best we resolve the conflict and then seek to do what is right,” and hoped that Samukai could be pacified with that.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

See More

Ex-Bayern star moved to Stoke for the money, claims former Switzerland defender

first_imgFormer Liverpool and Switzerland defender Stephane Henchoz has suggested compatriot Xherdan Shaqiri joined Stoke City in the summer for the money.Shaqiri completed a shock switch from Inter Milan to the Britannia for a club record £12m in August to join Mark Hughes’ newly assembled Potters side.The 23-year-old was earmarked as a star of the future in his early years before a move to Bayern Munich, but Henchoz believes his decision to join Stoke points to financial benefits over career ambitions.When asked on Drivetime whether he was surprised by the winger’s move, Henchoz said: “Of course I am. Coming to the Premier League is every footballer’s target because it’s the best league in the world at the moment.“But Stoke City. I don’t think they are going to be playing European football in the near future. It’s not the biggest club in the world as well.“So for me it was a bit of a surprise. I would say if he chose Stoke it was probably due to the money and the wages he would receive.”While Henchoz appears to review Shaqiri’s move to Stoke as a step down from perhaps loftier previous employers, he also questioned the player’s true potential after failing to assert himself in both Germany and Italy.He added: “To be honest, the guy was at Bayern Munich and he couldn’t get in the team with two different managers, [Jupp] Heynckes and [Pep] Guardiola.“Then he moved to Inter – another big club – and Mancini was his manager. He wanted the guy but at the end of the day he couldn’t play.”Henchoz joined Adrian Durham and Darren Gough on Drive to preview England’s Euro 2016 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley.last_img read more

See More

DONEGAL RELAY FOR LIFE CASH TOPS €300K

first_imgDonegal’s Relay for Life has raised a colossal €300,000 – and the amount is rising!A committee meeting of the group held last night revealed the figure. Chairman of the group, Robert O’Connor said “This has again far exceeded our expectations.“This is due entirely to the efforts of teams, sponsors, and Donegal Public who gave us such fantastic support again this year.“Your efforts ensure that many more lives will be saved through allowing much needed research be undertaken.“Sincere thanks to all involved on behalf of myself and my fellow committee members,” said.  DONEGAL RELAY FOR LIFE CASH TOPS €300K was last modified: June 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Relay for Lifelast_img read more

See More