Hardships abound as hucksters feel pressured

first_imgIncreased feesBy Romario SamarooIn light of the increased cost hucksters have to pay for their licences, these street sellers are complaining about difficulties they are faced with to comply with the new requirements.After the move by the Administration to revise the tax laws, hucksters are forced to pay an enormous increase for their licences.According to the Hucksters Licensing and Control Amendment Bill No. 9 of 2016, hucksters plying their trade via “foot or man propelled vehicle or cycle” will pay $3500 signalling an increase of 12.5 times the amount.Those carrying out their business by means of “horse or other beast bearing or drawing burden” must now pay $12,500 rather than the $1000 previously paid. A number of vendors affected by this increase spoke at length of the strain it had posed on them.Annoyed vendors flocked to share their views on this issue with Guyana Times.Frankie, a fruit trader at Bourda Market said he feels the new fees are a burden to small vendors like himself: “It can’t work out if I got to pay that plus $1000 a day to sell out here, wen yuh wuk it out yuh wuk fa mine dem.” He reiterated the ever-so-often produce is so cheap and that “is best I close down”.Cheryll, another Bourda Market huckster pointed out that she is a single mother who is struggling to make ends meet: “I am a single mother of four and I got to pay all these taxes; what is the point?” she further said “money barely circulating”.Another single mother Patricia added that she cannot afford to pay the increased fees: “I sells from Friday to Monday, i can’t afford to pay these taxes. I ga pay lesson fees,” she lamented.Similarly, Tony is asserting his position not to pay because “they not taking care of de place and gat to pay all dese taxes.” He subsequently pointed out that “wholesale farmers would usually pay $3000 to distribute on the parapet.”Sherry also expressed her disapproval saying, “if I got to pay all of this I going an do domestic work”West Bank vendors also expressed their opinion on the increased licenses fees. Tony said he has a child attending University of Guyana and it is very difficult for him to pay the increase: “Dem prices too high, but small man na gat a say. I got to send me child UG and and all dem fee raise. They (the government) feel because we selling out here we does mek nuff money.”Savitiri said she has been selling the same load for the week because “business slow.” She went on to say, “I got to pay $4500 ‘landing fee’ for me Canter and now this”Arif also pointed out he does not sell $3500 a day and still has to pay “$1000 a day” to sell there, in addition to “$300 per pallet” of which she has four.Visiting Lombard Street now known for its horse-drawn vehicles, Guyana Times met with a few men plying their trade. In conversations, the men spoke of their unwillingness to comply with this increase due to the fact that “business on a whole was slow” and it is hard to meet that money. They went on to further point out that their “family is the main priority”Hucksters traversing the various markets and selling to individual shops using motor vehicles will pay an additional $57,500 on the former $5000 totalling $62,500 for the licence.When asked about this, one driver complained about “the other expenses I have to face already and now this” and noted “parts expensive, shop owners complaining dem ain’t gat money and now de government want we pay more”Vishal wanted to ask the government “why they don’t go tax all de drug yards than pressure legal workers?”These issues come in light of the already established difficulty the administration faces with tax collection. Vendors are calling for the revised legislation to be reconsidered.last_img read more

See More

‘Amb. Nnadozie Had no Contact with Ebola Victim’

first_imgThe Nigeria Embassy in Monrovia has distanced itself from recent ‘negative’ media reports linking the Ambassador of being in contact with an Ebola victim, the late Liberian official, Patrick O. Sawyer. At a press conference in Monrovia, Ambassador Chigozie Obi-Nnadozie, said the attention of the Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, has been drawn to that report emanating from a Nigerian-owned newspaper.However, the Ambassador vehemently denied reports that link her with over 59 persons, who had contact with the 40-year old Liberian national, Patrick O. Sawyer, who lost his life to the dreaded virus in Lagos last Friday.The Nigeria-based newspaper reports attributed to officials of the Federal Ministry of Health and Lagos State Government that the Principal Envoy of Nigeria, Obi-Nnadozie, was reported to have been among those who reportedly came in contact with the late Sawyer prior to his demise at the Lagos Airport. But in her quick reaction, the Nigerian female diplomat  quoted the Federal Nigerian Foreign Ministry as declaring: “The Ministry wishes to categorically state that Ambassador Obi-Nnadozie did not at anytime have any contact with the late Sawyer either by way of being in the same building, on a same flight or vehicle, or a given location.“I have in the recent past, been and still [am] at my duty post in Monrovia,” the Envoy emphasized.According to her, the Lagos State government has clarified that she (the Ambassador) was wrongly linked to the Ebola victim, who died in Lagos recently after flying into the country from Monrovia.The statement from the Lagos State government, she said, was signed by the special advisor to the Lagos State Governor on media, Hakeem Bello. It therefore explained that the person on board the flight the newspaper had apparently referred to as Amb. Obi-Nnadozie was the Federal Government official working in collaboration with officials of the State government that provided the name of the ambassador as one of the persons that had contact with the late Sawyer.Meanwhile, the Federal Health authorities, together with their Lagos State counterparts may wish to cross-check this information or any other information accurately for public consumption.The Lagos State Government on July 28 shut down and quarantined the hospital where a Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, suspected with the Ebola virus, died last week in Lagos.“We have shut the hospital to enable us to properly quarantine the environment. Some of the hospital staff who were in close contact with the victim have been isolated. The hospital will be shut for a week and all staff monitored to ensure the virus has not spread,” the Lagos State Health Commissioner, Jide Idris said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

See More

Watford give up pursuit of former Newcastle man

first_img1 Davide Santon in action for Inter Milan Watford have given up their pursuit of former Newcastle man Davide Santon.The left-back is back at Inter Milan but he is unlikely to feature regularly there under former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini.That gave Watford the impetus to make a move for the Italy international but Hornets owner Gino Pozzo says the deal is dead in the water“There is no breakthrough to bring Santon to our London club,” the multi-club owner told fcinternews.it“In fact, I can say that the deal is now dead and there are no longer the conditions to continue.“I did not see much enthusiasm in the boy, despite all the time that we gave to evaluate the situation.”last_img

See More