KOLKATA, India, (CMC):Kolkata Knight Riders have expressed relief following the International Cricket Council’s decision to lift the bowling ban on their champion off-spinner Sunil Narine.The 27-year-old West Indies player was banned last November after the ICC ruled his action illegal. However, he was cleared him to return to international cricket late Thursday, after remodelling his action and then successfully undergoing tests at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai last month.And with the new Indian Premier League bowling off today, Narine’s Knight Riders teammate Shakib Al Hasan said the news was definitely welcome.”I don’t know what changes he has had now, but it is a huge relief for the team,” the Bangladeshi all-rounder said.IMPORTANT PLAYER”He is a very important part of KKR. Every time KKR has done well, he has had huge influence. It is a positive news for us.”Narine has been key to KKR’s fortunes in the IPL. His Man-of-the-Series 24 wickets in 2012 helped them to the title and captured 21 in 2014 as the Kolkata-based franchise won the title for a second time in three years.He also nabbed 22 wickets in 2013 even though KKR missed out on the playoffs.Though Narine has been sidelined for the last four months, Shakib said he did not anticipate this having a major impact on the player’s performance.”For Narine, I don’t think so the setback will matter too much,” he pointed out.”He is a world-class spinner and everybody respects him. This time, too, he will be leading the spinning attack. He has always played a vital role for KKR.”KKR take on Carlos Brathwaite’s Delhi Daredevils in Kolkata on Sunday.
A Cuban citizen on Thursday appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts slapped with three counts of fraud.Lazaro Pereira Alanzo denied the charges when they were read to him by Principal Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs–Marcus, through an interpreter.The first charge against the 52-year-old man stated that on December 17, 2018, at Georgetown, with intent to defraud, he uttered to Ayana Harris, a General Clerk at the Ministry of the Presidency, Department of Citizenship one visa appointment confirmation letter, dated January 11, 2019, in favour of himself, purporting to show that same was issued by the Mexican Embassy.The second charge read that between September 29, 2018 and December 17, 2018, at Georgetown, with intent to defraud, he forged one visa appointment letter dated January 11, 2019, in favour of himself purporting to show that same was issued by the Mexican Embassy.The Police further stated that between January 1, 2019 and January 8, 2019, at Georgetown, he failed to comply with conditions subject to a permit via which he was granted permission to stay from the period September 29, 2018 and September 31, 2018, but overstayed.In his defence, Alanzo told the court: “I am not guilty of the offences and I was tricked by the person who filled out the form for me and that bail should be granted to me.”However, Police Prosecutor Adoni Innis objected to bail being granted to the foreigner, citing the prevalence of the offence and the fact he had no ties to Guyana.The Prosecutor further stated that while the defendant was in Guyana, he applied for a visa at the Mexican Embassy, but his request was turned down.The discovery of the forgery was made days later when he went to the Ministry. It was reported that the confirmation letter issued to the Ministry did not originate from the Mexican Embassy in Guyana.The Police Prosecutor’s submission was upheld by the Magistrate, who remanded Alanzo to prison until January 14, 2019.
Swift action by ranks of a Police patrol led to the arrest of one of three knife-wielding bicycle bandits, who robbed a member of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) in the wee hours of Thursday.An investigation revealed that about 02:00h, the victim, who resides at Nabaclis, East Coast Demerara (ECD), was in the company of his colleague walking along High and D’Urban Streets, Georgetown, when they were confronted by three men, all armed with knives.The bandits pounced and relieved the victim of his phone valued $22,000; however, before the perpetrators could get anything else from the men, they fled.While escaping from the bandits, the two army men managed to stop a passing Police patrol and related what had just transpired.The party of patrol ranks subsequently searched the area and one of the suspects who was positively identified was arrested a short distance from where the robbery occurred.The 20-year-old unemployed man of Norton Street, Lodge, has since been taken into Police custody and has been assisting with the investigation.
“This is a very exciting time for the Rep,” said Artistic Director Ovington Michael Owston. Jason Price, president of the Rep Board of Directors added, “The funding from the community services grant has only solidified the dedication that the city of Santa Clarita has for the arts and for the future of the theater district in Old Town Newhall.” Making his directorial debut, Bill Quinn has assembled one of the finest and most talented casts ever to hit the stage at the Rep. The cast includes newcomers Kristin Pfeifer, Keven Kaddi, Peter Pasco, Michael Vincent Carrera and Nicholas Yohn. Also featured in the cast are Rep veterans Daniel Lench and Christina Rideout. Written by Rebecca Gilman, “Spinning Into Butter” earned her the Roger L. Stevens Award from the Kennedy Center Fund for New American Playwrights, as well as a Jeff Award for new work. It premiered at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago and had its New York premiere at the Lincoln Center Theatre. “Spinning Into Butter” opens on April 20, with a wine reception at 7 p.m. and curtain at 8 p.m. The show will run through April 29. Show times are Friday and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. Tickets are $17, $15 for students and seniors. Because this is a limited engagement, reservations are highly recommended. For tickets, call the Rep at (661) 288-0000 or visit the Web site at www.repeastplayhouse.org/. The Repertory East Playhouse is at 24266 San Fernando Road, Newhall. To post your own stories and photos, log on to valleynews.com. The Repertory East Playhouse will open the highly anticipated 81 Series at 8 p.m. April 20 with the award-winning drama, “Spinning Into Butter” by Rebecca Gilman. “Spinning Into Butter” explores the dangers of both racism and political correctness in America today. When one of the few African-American students at liberal Belmont College begins receiving hate mail, the campus erupts – first with shock, then with mutual recrimination as faculty and students alike try to prove their own tolerance by condemning one another. At the center of this maelstrom is Sarah Daniels, the dean of students. As the administration sponsors public “race forums” and the students start their activist groups, Sarah is forced to explore her own feelings of racism. Her self-examination leads to some surprising discoveries and painful insights, the consequences of which even she can’t predict. Funded through a Community Services Grant by the city of Santa Clarita, the 81 Series is a limited engagement of four provocative pieces of theater by well-known and respected playwrights. Most of the themes explored in the 81 Series will deal with pertinent social ideals and values of American society. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
However, with head coach Paul Put underlining a requirement of at least two friendly matches in March, Kenya will give a shot at going into double digit rankings, with the aim being to surpass the best ever placing of 68.Neighbors Uganda remain the best placed Eastern Africa country despite slumping down five places after their poor performance at the African Nations Championship and are now ranked 78th.Rwanda have moved up two places and are now placed 114th while Zdravko Logarusic’s Sudan who reached the CHAN 2018 semi finals have moved six places up and are now ranked 118th.Meanwhile, Tunisia remains the best ranked African country despite staying put at 23rd while Senegal has dropped three places down to 27th though remaining second in Africa. DR Congo has broken into the top three after a massive rise of four places to rank 39th.World Cup bound Egypt have dropped 13 places to rank 43rd, the highest African dip alongside Burkina Faso who have dropped all the way to 57th.The status quo in the top five worldwide remains the same with Germany, Brazil, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium retaining the first five slots.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Harambee Stars players line up before their CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup match against Libya in Machakos on December 5, 2017. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 15- Kenya’s national football team Harambee Stars has dropped one place to 106th in the latest FIFA rankings released on Thursday afternoon after a period of inactivity since their CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup win last December.Having failed to play in the African Nations Championship (CHAN) after being stripped of hosting rights and no FIFA friendly window available since the Senior Challenge Cup, the team has not had an opportunity to increase its points.
SANTA CLARITA – They never would have chosen to become members of the exclusive group, but they are lifers and draw strength from each other’s company. The group is made up of parents and siblings of children who have died. The deaths propel them into a fourth dimension of pain and loss, and through some spiritual alchemy – and lots of talking and listening – they help each other heal. “Each time you talk about it, it seems to get easier,” Rita Fleischer said. “People sharing the same kind of pain you are in is what makes the camaraderie so special.” The causes of death are many: collisions, murder, medical malpractice, suicide. Parents of another boy find comfort in their son’s re-recorded cell-phone voice message, which they play for his cocker spaniel, Micky. “His tail wags after two years. He still knows his voice,” said Teddy Bell’s dad, Ted, about Micky. On a memorial Web site, friends send Teddy messages in heaven. Speakers often reach for tissues from boxes scattered on the floor. Group leader Diane Briones has lived through the death of her mother and brother, but her daughter Michelle’s death causes powerful aftershocks eight years later. “You can kind of move on with your life without intense pain grabbing you all the time. You still miss the person, but the pain is not as intense with a mother, a brother,” she said. “With Michelle, I still have horrible grief periods and will probably (have them) for the rest of my life.” An Antelope Valley man whose son was murdered in 1991 said he questioned how life anywhere could go on. “I found it hard to see how the sun could come up the next morning,” he said, asking that his name not be used. A parent in another support group, who had lived through 10 years of sunrises, gave him hope. Some people are so consumed by hate and anger that they want everyone to feel their pain, which they “wield like a machete or club,” the man said. They may end up intimidating others into avoiding them. Some siblings of deceased children are facing the double whammy of grieving for a brother or a sister and feeling neglected emotionally by parents mired in grief. While deceased children’s friends and co-workers, as well as the parents’ own friends, often rally around before and for several years after the funeral, they may eventually decide life should go back to “normal.” They mention the deceased child less and less, if at all. “You need support on the anniversary date – a tap on the shoulder, an ‘I know what today is’ or ‘I know what tomorrow is; I’m thinking about you,”‘ Alice Renolds said. For parents who lost a child but still have at least one other child, some mistakenly try to console them with that reminder. “I would react: ‘I don’t care if I have a million children; I lost my precious baby.’ ” A son and his wife have made her a grandmother. Briones reaches out to people who have lost an only child. “They (may) feel like they’re not a parent anymore, but they are,” she said. And of her friends the Renoldses, who have lost two children, She says the “pain is intensified all that much more. … It’s unthinkable.” Survivors say memories can surge in waves. “In the very beginning, tidal waves hit daily, sometimes hourly,” Briones said. “Further along in grief, after the first year, they hit on a regular basis but not hourly – maybe once or twice during the day.” Holidays, birthdays or movies may trigger the seismic onset. Grieving is not a tidy process, and couples may discover their styles clash. Some people distract themselves, overscheduling activities, reading only fiction or avoiding the deceased child’s belongings, while others deal with the loss head-on, quickly joining support groups and reading self-help books. The key, they say, is accepting differences. Recently Briones has received many calls from parents whose children have committed suicide. Some parents may feel stigmatized if a child has died this way, and they may hide their emotions or how the child died. “They’re afraid to say it,” she said of some parents. “There truly isn’t a stigma. It does not matter how our child died. We lost a child – that’s all that matters. Not how they died.” In addition to speaking frankly about her son’s death, Fleischer ponders the “what if” thoughts. She believes a Canadian regimen could have helped Erik if he and his parents had learned about it sooner. Traditional drugs and other therapy failed the young man, who shared his desperation with his parents. “He felt like he was losing his mind,” Fleischer said softly. Judy O’Rourke, (661) 257-5255 firstname.lastname@example.org SUPPORT GROUP The Compassionate Friends meet at 7 p.m. the first and third Thursday of the month at Fellowship Christian Church, 26889 Bouquet Canyon Road, behind the Goodwill store. Siblings as well as parents of deceased children are welcome. Information: Diane Briones at (661) 252-4654, or www.compassionatefriends.org. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant Fleischer’s son Erik, who for 17 years was a typical kid, stepped into mental quicksand when schizophrenia gripped his mind. At 25, he took his life. He is gone, and his family needs a place to tend the great love for him that remains. Members of The Compassionate Friends listen but do not judge. In exchange for exposing raw feelings, tenderness that defies words, confusion, anger, shock and acceptance, the members get reassurance and confidentiality. Hundreds of people have participated in the annual candlelight walk organized by Alice and Tim Renolds, held in memory of their sons Tim and Danny, who were killed in a car crash six years ago Friday. On the first and third Thursday of each month, a small group sits in a circle with Alice and Tom when they let their guard down and ride tidal waves of memory, stand as beacons of survival to newcomers and, sometimes, defuse the pain with humor. Friends may wonder if it is safe to talk about the boys with Alice Renolds. They may dimly wonder how she can still be the boys’ mother when they are not here to be mothered. Looking deep into her clear blue eyes, the answer is plain. “Even if I cry when you talk about my kids, it’s OK; I’m talking about my kids,” she said. “You want to talk about them. All I have now are memories.” The tears are not barriers that warn “keep out.”
A stand-off at a popular Letterkenny bar and restaurant is over.The incident, which was taking place at the Millview Bar and Restaurant at Newmills, had been ongoing since early yesterday morning.The premises is owned by a local businessman who is currently in negotiations with a bank over the premises. The premises have been leased and run by a local couple for the past number of years.Gardai were at the scene for a time yesterday as more than 50 supporters of the couple were there.A number of people supporting the businessman were also there.Both sides in the dispute said they could not comment for legal reasons. STAND-OFF OVER AT POPULAR RESTAURANT was last modified: March 22nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GardaiMillview BarSTAND-OFF OVER AT POPULAR RESTAURANT
A 47 year old man was arrested in Letterkenny last night in connection with the investigation into the murder of Bogdan Michalkiawicz in May.Murdered: Bogdan MichalkiewiczThe man is detained at Letterkenny Garda Station under Section 4 of Criminal Justice Act 1984.He is the second man to be arrested in connection with the gruesome murder. The man was arrested in the Slieve Sneacht area of Letterkenny just after 9.30pm.Detective Inspector Pat O’Donnell said the man was arrested after being suspected of being involved in the murder of Bogdan.The Polish national was found at his apartment at Westside at Lower Main Street in Letterkenny.It is understood he had been stabbed a number of times. Inspector Michael Harrison described the murder as horrific and appealed for any help in tracing Bogdan’s killer.Meanwhile a reconstruction of the event will be aired on RTE’s Crimecall programme at 9.35pm tomorrow night (Tues).Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room at Letterkenny Garda Sttaion on 074-9167170, the Garda Confidential Line 1-800-666-111 or any Garda Station. SECOND ARREST MADE IN POLISH MURDER INVESTIGATION was last modified: June 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arrestBOGDANGardailetterkennymurder
Corning >> The Corning Cardinals dominated the first half of the 16th annual Shootout Tournament championship Saturday night against the Anderson Cubs, but the Cubs adjusted at halftime to take a third period league before the hosts pulled away again with just minutes to go in the game for a 53-48 win.“Corning and Anderson, we know each other well, we’ve been in the NAL together for 14 years…we know each other inside and out,” said Cardinals coach Kurt Wilkins. “We know how to make each other …